Monday, October 8, 2012

Brisket Chili or The Devil's Underpants (which is what Christian calls it)

Mom and I just competed in our first annual Chili-Off. A pretty spectacular feat considering we are thousands of miles away from each other but when I told her I had been invited to a friend's chili cook-off, she wanted in. We decided we'd both make a pot of chili, document our experience, and make it our first blog entry. So, here goes!

I decided to shirk tradition and make a brisket based chili. To hell with ground beef when you can go shredded! First thing I did was make my spice mixture. I added equal parts cumin, cayenne pepper, chili powder, ground coriander, oregano, and smoked paprika. I also added a 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon, and two tablespoons of brown sugar (my first and second secret weapon ingredients).


Next I chopped up two red onions, two red and two yellow bell peppers, 7 cloves of garlic, and one green chili and set them aside.


I scored the brisket on one side. Then salted, peppered, and rubbed the spice mixture all over it, saving the remaining spices for later. Next I threw the seasoned brisket into a frying pan with heated olive oil in it to sear the meat on all sides. Once it was seared, I removed the brisket and set it aside. And set the fry pan aside as well. I'll use that again later.



















Next I got a big pot and put it over medium heat. I threw the remaining spices in to heat up and release their royal spiciness then I plopped in two cans of diced tomatoes. Then I added all three types of chopped peppers that I had set aside earlier. I brought that to a boil, placed the brisket back in, and the brought it down to a simmer and let it slowly bubble away.


Next, I grabbed the frying pan I used to sear the meat and I put it over a flame again. I added 4 slices of chopped bacon (secret weapon ingredient #3). Once they were crisp I removed them from the pan and added the chopped onion and garlic and let that cook until the onion was translucent. When they were soft, I threw them in the chili pot and added a bit more brown sugar and about 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar (secret weapon ingredient #4). I let the whole shebang simmer away for 4 hours and then popped it in the fridge overnight. The next day was tasting day so I brought the chili back up to a simmer, then removed the brisket and shredded the now tender beef into yummy meat strings.


My chili got a woeful third place (out of seven) at my friend's cook-off contest. Clearly, Australians and Brits have no idea what good chili is. Especially considering one entry brought in something that looked more like sweet and sour chicken than chili con carne. I may have gotten third, but I bet I would have beaten mom's. Rumor has it she put dried fruit in hers?!?


No comments:

Post a Comment