Monday, October 8, 2012

CHILI CHALLENGE CONCESSION

I concede that "the Devil's Underpants" wins out over my chili.  Here's why.  My chili was made with four types of roasted chili's that I carefully prepared in the oven and peeled, chuck roast and too many things to list, or perhaps remember. The full can of adobo chili's and the splashes of Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce passed my taste test and didn't make me weep....but here's the deal (and my girls know this full well).  I always like to keep adding a little this and a little that.  SO, I added one level teaspoon of Ground Jalapeno (specially purchased from Draeger's) and that sent the chili over the top.  My eyes burned just lifting the lid!

Always looking for the good, I did find out that if you ever happen to make chili too hot, there are two interesting solutions and I tried both and they worked!  Add a heaping tablespoon of honey and slice a lemon in half and float it in the chili while it keeps cooking.

After doing that, we were able to then to have one night of chili from the massive pot of chili resulting from my adding everything I could find in the house to tame it.

And so.  The fact that someone (who shall remain nameless) left the gigantic pot of chili out on the counter all night made the entire Chili Challenge a moot point.  Sarah's chili wins because ..well, because it is edible.

However, tonight I prepared Turkey Pot Pie; one for us and one for Gina, Lowell and Lucy.  I added in the leftovers from our late summer succotash (sweet corn, Romano beans, carrots and of course bacon), with cooked turkey breast, celery, onions, and a bunch of spices.  Here's the ingredient that gave it punch or my special touch.  Pepper jack cheese.  I then topped the mixture with a store bought pie crust glazed in butter and salt of course.  It was so delicious!



This is the unbaked version I made for Gina, Lowell and Lucy.  I will finish it off in their oven tomorrow night.  By the way, Shira prepared crepes tonight with pears and cinnamon and they were a yummy ending to a comforting meal.  She continues to be an excellent baker (probably because she, like Sarah, follows recipes)...and she is just a natural at it.

This is Lucy, enjoying her cheese on Sunday.  Like her gramma, cheese seems to be a favorite. Anything in a baby food jar, not so much; she wants to feed herself!  Independent little thing and so smart.  Who would have thought a one year old could swipe across the IPad screen?  This kid's a little genius.  And in that vein, my other sweet granddaughter, Anna Grace continues in her genius mode too as an artist; which I am going to write about and include in my next blog with samples of her work!


1 comment:

  1. All the foodie photos look wonderful... But this shot of Lucy takes the cake!

    I love it! Lowell

    ReplyDelete